Thursday, June 17, 2010

"I Am Not A Turkey"

      During the 2010 Oxford Turkey Days, I had the honor of delivering the message for the Turkey Day Community Service on June 13. The following is a synopsis of my message entitled 'I Am Not A Turkey'. The Scripture Reading was from Genesis 1:24-31.
      To help me better understand about turkeys, and have a better appreciation for Turkey Days, I did some research on turkeys. For example, do you know that turkeys can run up to 20 miles an hour? Did you know Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey be the national bird instead of the Bald Eagle? The Air Force is responsible for killing countless turkeys by flying over turkey farms giving turkeys fatal heart attacks.
      Finally, why can't you take a turkey to church?  Because they use such FOWL language. I told you this was going to be profound, and thought provoking. Why did God create turkeys? To be turkeys, of course. And where do turkeys end up? On someone’s dinner table. That’s why - 'I am not a turkey!' I am a child of God, created in His image and destined for heaven.
      Unlike being a turkey, being a child of God comes with some pretty awesome privileges. As children of God, we are forgiven, we are saved, and we have eternal life.
      Along with forgiveness and eternal life, we have the privilege of God’s peace and freedom. Freedom from sin and death, and peace beyond understanding. In John 14:27, Jesus tells us - "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
      To help us with these glorious privileges, God has given us the Holy Spirit. In John 14:26 we read - "The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."
      To make these awesome privileges even more powerful and more meaningful, we have been given the special privilege of love. We have been given the honor and privilege to love God and to love one another. As we all know, love is key to our faith. In John 13 we are told "as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
      1 John 3:23-24 states - "And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us."
      John clearly states, to be children of God, we must believe in the name of Jesus Christ and we must love one another. We are to love each other with that same selfless, sacrificial, forgiving love with which Jesus Christ loved us. When we put these two commandments together, we find the great truth that the Christian life depends on right belief and right conduct - combined.
      As cool as turkeys may be, they do not possess the ability to believe in Jesus Christ, nor can they love one another like you and I can.  Thus, I am not a turkey - I am a child of God, led by the Spirit - destined for glory.
      Today we bring to a close Turkey Days 2010. But, at the same time, we are reminded that the love and grace of God is open to everyone. That though turkeys may come and turkeys may go, God Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  As children of God, we are assured that "nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
      I bid you, never forget who you are. You are a child of God, created in His image, destined for glory!  As 1 Peter Chapter 2 says, "you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."
      If you believe you are, repeat after me - "I am not a turkey. I am a child of God." "I am a child of God, created in His image, destined for glory!"   Go now, as children of God. Loving one another and proclaiming the good works of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
Blessings to all - See you in church Sunday
Pastor Eldon

No comments:

Post a Comment